Affordable Housing for the Elderly and Persons with Disabilities
The Redevelopment Authority is the managing agent for nine elderly housing facilities, totaling 536 units, in Washington County. Two are located in Canonsburg, two in Charleroi, one in Washington, one in California, one in Burgettstown and two in Claysville.
Canon House, Char House and Liberty Tower are federally subsidized, Section 8 housing facilities with 104 units per building. Each one bedroom unit has a balcony, an equipped kitchen, and a temperature controlled heating/cooling unit. Residents must be at least 62 years of age or persons with disabilities. Rents are based on 30% of the adjusted monthly gross income.
*All facilities offer elevator access, indoor mail delivery (except Claysville Apts & Claysville Patio Homes), laundry facility, on-site management and maintenance.
*All nine complexes require applicants to meet the resident selection criteria such as program and income eligibility, rental history, and criminal background check.
For additional information on a particular housing facility, please see the webpage for that facility. Downloadable applications and requirements are available.
Pennsylvania Affordable Apartment Locator
www.PAHousingSearch.com is a resource for housing within the commonwealth.
Elderly Housing Facilities Awards
- 1994 Excellence in Construction Award from Associated Builders & Construction of Western PA
- 1995 Excellence in Affordable Housing Certificate of Communication from National Affordable Housing Training Institute U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Office of Community Planning & Development
- 1995 Bellamy Award for Program Excellence and Redevelopment from PAHRA, Pennsylvania Association of Housing & Redevelopment Agencies
- 1995 National Award of Excellence in Project Design-Modernization from NAHRO, National Association of Housing & Redevelopment Officials
- 1995 National Award of Merit from NAHRO, National Association of Housing & Redevelopment Officials
- 1995 12th Reconstruction Project Award from Building Design & Construction
Crest Avenue Apartments
- 1996 National Award Merit from The National Association of Housing & Redevelopment Officials
- 1996 National Award of Excellence from The National Association of Housing & Redevelopment Officials
- 1998 Washington County Beautification Award
- 1999 National Award of Merit from The National Association of Housing & Redevelopment Officials
- 1999 MARC-NAHRO Award of Excellence Nomination
- 2015 Panma Platinum Award for Pre. 1995 Interior Design